Friday, August 11, 2023

Dropoffs in the Rain

 It is raining today and the children are huddled inside my car awaiting their turn to step out in the carpool line.  The teachers were wearing raincoats, hustling kids out of the car, through the rain, onto the covered walkway.  Where are their umbrellas?  I asked out loud.  They always carry umbrellas on rainy days to keep the kids dry.  The car door opens and I say no thank you to their PE teacher, who looks back at me with incredulous eyes.  Today I'm not going to let the girls get wet, I say.  Today I'm going to park, walk them inside with my umbrella, one at a time.  Just today, I tell the girls.  Just today because mommy doesn't have to rush to work.  But really, who are we kidding.  I will always hold an umbrella over their heads, for as long as I can. 

No comments: